KALAMUNDA
AND DISTRICTS
HISTORICAL SOCIETY

------------------- Local History and Pioneers ------------------

The timeline below lists important events in Kalamunda and the surrounding districts.

1827

Charles Fraser was the first white man to climb the scarp, approximately 25kms from Perth.

He named the hills the General Darling Range after the Governor of NSW.

 

1829

The founding of the Swan River Colony. Ensign Dale of 63rd Regiment led a party along the Helena River.

 

1839

Benjamin Robins was the first to take land in the Kalamunda area near Bushmead.

 

1861

Robins bought 16 hectares at Gooseberry Hill.

 

1864

Ben Mason granted lease on 259 hectare at the head of Bickley Brook for timber cutting.

Built 30 slab huts and 'road' to Canning Landing (Woodloes). The road is now known today as Hardinge Road.

 

1868

Mason won contract to supply sleepers to the Great Indian Peninsular Railway. He failed to fulfill the contract due to

transport difficulties.

 

1870

Mason & Co. began building the second railway in the colony - a wooden tramway to Canning River.

First school was opened in the area.

 

1872

Official opening of the tramway by Governor Weld.

 

1877

Bird pulled out of the timber company.

 

1880's

Whim invented for timber hauling at Canning Mills.

 

1881

Frederick and Elizabeth Stirk arrived at Kalamunda.

 

1882

Mason's company went bankrupt.

 

1885

John and Emma Wallis who arrived at Mason's Mill in 1880, settled at Orangedale, Walliston.

Richard and Mary Weston settled Springdale. Their son, Francis, aged 3 days, died in 1876 and is buried at Mason's Mill.

 

1889

Edward Keane was granted the timber license formerly owned by Mason. He and his brother-in-law formed Lionel White & Co.

Built the sawmill at Canning location 164, known as Canning Mills. Eventually 400 people lived there.

Neil McNeil began building Victoria Reservoir on Munday Brook. Opened 1891. Kalamunda waited 64 years for water.

 

1890

Edward White began surveying for what was to become the Zig Zag railway. Contract with government signed 1891.

 

1891

School opened at Canning Mill. Continued until 1930.

 

1895

First government school, called Govt Provisional School, Gooseberry Hill opened. The headmaster was Mr Swindells.

Darling Range Vine and Fruit growers Assoc. formed.

 

1897

Darling Range Road Board officially severed from Swan Roads Board, but included Mundaring.

Agricultural Hall built, the first brick building in the area. Archibald Sanderson bought land in area. He named the land Lesmurdie after a shooting lodge in Aberdeenshire, Scotland on a property let for shooting to his father.

Albert Shunke settled in Grove Road. He started to export fruit to India in 1908.

 

1899

First Church of England dedicated by Bishop Riley.The church was located at the corner of Boonooloo and Kalamunda Roads. Known as Gooseberry Hill Church as Kalamunda was not yet named.

 

1901

Townsite of Calla Munda proclaimed. The name was from Bishop Salvado's Aboriginal vocabulary. The Surveyor General changed the 'C' to 'K'.

 

1902

C.H Hummerston built a hotel in Railway Road.

 

1903

Mundaring Weir opened. Haynes Street and Railway Road cleared. The government took over the railway to Pickering Brook.

In 1910 the remaining line to Canning Mills was also taken over and was extended to Karragullen in 1912.

 

1904

First Roads Board office built. 1st August at Poison Gully fatal accident in Zig Zag railway in heavy rain killing driver G. Green and fireman W. Lyons.

Archibald Sanderson bought the first motor car in the area. Carmel school opened, closed 1990.

 

1905

1/4 acre blocks sold for £5 requiring a deposit of £1 and repayments of £1 per month.

 

1907

Richard Sampson arrived in Kalamunda. He served 20 years as chairman of the Darling Range Roads Board and was the

MLA for Swan from 1921 to 1944. When he died in 1944, he left one thousand pounds for a memorial. This was used to

build an Infant Health Centre which opened in 1951.

 

1908

First telephone connected at Roads Board office. Curry (storekeeper) and Hummerston (publican) also had telephones connected that year.

 

1909

Welshpool Road and Belmont Road are cleared.

 

1910

Maida Vale receives its name - named after settler R. McCormack's house, Maida Vale.

 

1912

Karragullen named. Name suggested by Daisy Bates and is Aboriginal for Red Gully.

 

1916

First local car registration.

 

1918

First cool store in WA built at Illawarra. Soldier settlement scheme implemented along Piesse Brook.

Later many of the ex-soldiers walked off and the land was bought by Italians.

1919

Government tree puller began clearing land at Pickering Brook.

 

1920

Worst motor accident in WA to that time, occurred on Kalamunda Road. Six people from the High Street Cricket Club Fremantle died. No ambulance service. Later that year the Midland ambulance service covered Midland and Kalamunda.

In 1940 fund raising began for a Kalamunda ambulance. An ambulance was bought in 1947.

Pickering Brook Sports Club began.

 

1921

Electricity came to Kalamunda - six street lights. Mary's Mount school opened for boys only. The school was run by the

Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition.

 

1922

Charlie Ellis began showing silent movies in a garden cinema next to the hotel.

 

1924

Charlie Ellis installed a petrol pump. He began the first motor garage and taxi service at the corner of Railway and Haynes Street. Ellis was bought out by Webster and Binns who began a bus service.

 

1925

Kazmiex Kostera arrived, bought out Webster and Binns. He ran the bus service until it was taken over by the government in 1958.

 

1926

Jim Crabb began delivering meat and other supplies to outlying areas. Tennis courts in Haynes Street.

 

1927

Paddy Conolly built a new hotel next to the original with money from the winnings of Blue Spec, the first WA horse to

win the Melbourne Cup (1905).

 

1928

Kalamunda Golf Club began.

 

1929

St. Brigid's School opened.

 

1933

Gordon Farrell began a parcel service with a motor bike and sidecar. He bought his first truck in 1934. This service became Kalamunda Transport and was operational until it was sold to Ansett in 1977.

 

1935

Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade formed.

 

1937

Kalamunda Road sealed.

 

1938

Welshpool Road sealed.

 

1939

War memorial built.

 

1942

Influx of 'city folk' to avoid any WW2 attack.

 

1945

US Navy DC3 aircraft crashed into Gooseberry Hill killing the crew and thirteen passengers.

 

1948

Stirk property purchased by Roads Board.

 

1949

Zig Zag railway closed following a decline in timber and passenger numbers as motor vehicles became more readily available.

 

1952

First local newspaper.

 

1954

Water arrived, provided by the Goldfields Scheme. The first attempt to get water to Kalamunda was in 1903.

 

1954

Roman Catholic Church at Kalamunda consecrated.

 

1955

Convent for Ursaline Nuns which included a small school was completed at Pickering Brook.

Full time police station. Automatic telephone.

 

1958

Two huts from Allawah Grove were bought to provide a library service next to Kostera Oval.

 

1960

Opening of Kalamunda High School.

 

1963

Library opened at present site.

 

1964

Swimming pool opened.

 

1970

Kalamunda station yard passed to Kalamunda and Districts Historical Society for use as a museum. Old Kalamunda school brought to the site. Kalamunda History Village opened.

 

1972

Post Office moved to Barber Street.

 

1977

New Shire offices opened.

 

1979

Official opening of the Bibbulmun Track.

 

1996

Performing Arts Centre constructed.

 

1998

Centenary of the Darling Range Roads Board.

 

1998

Centenary of Kalamunda Show.

 

2002

Lesmurdie House becomes part of St Brigid’s College Campus.

 

2009

Opening of Kalamunda Community Memorial Building and Memorial Wall.

 

2011

Opening of Zig Zag Cultural Centre.

------------------- Pioneers ------------------

The following families and individuals helped make Kalamunda what it is today.

Benjamin & Elizabeth Robins Sheep Farmer ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL

 

Benjamin & Eliza Mason Mill Owner ~ CARMEL 1864

 

William & Eleanor Mead Farmer ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL 1873

 

Richard & Mary Weston Wheelwright, Carpenter ~ PICKERING BROOK 1875

 

Septimus Burt & Edward Haynes Ochardists ~ KALAMUNDA 1878

 

Henry & Anna Mottram Timberman, Orchardist ~ CARMEL 1879

 

John & Emma Wallis Orchardist, Carpenter and Midwife ~ WALLISTON 1880

 

Frederick & Elizabeth Stirk First Townsite Settlers ~ KALAMUNDA 1881

 

John & Hester King Orchardist and Midwife ~ PAULLS VALLEY 1888

 

White Bros & Edward Keane Mill and Railway Co. Owners ~ CANNING MILLS 1889

 

Samuel & Annie Collins Orchardist and Nurse ~ KALAMUNDA

 

R & W.H. McCormack Carriers, Orchardists ~ MAIDA VALE 1890

 

John Manning Dairy Farmer ~ LESMURDIE 1890

 

John & Emily Farrant Land Agent ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL 1891

 

Robert & Margaret Dixon Orchardist ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL 1891

 

Richard & Mary Urch Horticulturist ~ KALAMUNDA 1892

 

George & Lucy Palmateer Orchardist ~ BICKLEY 1893

 

Charles & Adelaide Ashcroft Orchardist ~ BICKLEY 1893

 

George & Matilda Fawkes Nurseryman, Orchardist ~ CARMEL 1893

 

Edward & Mary Owen Orchardist ~ CARMEL 1893

 

Samuel Burkhardt Storekeeper, Gardener ~ KALAMUNDA 1893

 

Joseph Arduino Horticulturist, Vigneron ~ KALAMUNDA 1893

 

Levi Green Ironmonger, Orchardist ~ CARMEL 1893

 

John McRae Orchardist ~ KALAMUNDA 1893

 

Thomas Statham Quarry Owner ~ MAIDA VALE 1894

 

Edward & Evelyn People Horticulturist ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL 1894

 

 

John Weaire Farmer ~ MAIDA VALE 1894

 

Alfred Jecks Gardener, Apiarist ~ LESMURDIE 1894

 

Jacob & Annie Schmitt Orchardist ~ KALAMUNDA 1895

 

Walter Swindells First Teacher ~ KALAMUNDA 1895

 

Fred & Cecelia Croxton Teamster ~ PIESSE BROOK 1896

 

Charles & Emma Brooks First Storekeeper ~ KALAMUNDA 1896

 

Albert Wheelwright Horticulturist ~ LESMURDIE 1897

 

Richard Brady DRRB Secretary 1905-1945 ~ LESMURDIE 1897

 

Archibald & Maude Sanderson Orchardist, Politician ~ LESMURDIE 1897

 

Albert & Catherine Schunke Orchardist ~ LESMURDIE 1897

 

Samuel Fernihough Poultry Farmer ~ WALLISTON 1897

 

Arthur & Annie Gibbs Gardener ~ CARMEL 1897

 

Thomas & Emily Price Orchardist ~ CANNING MILLS 1897

 

Benjamin & Hester Newman Woodcutter ~ KALAMUNDA 1897

 

Henry & Caroline McCullagh First Post Office ~ KALAMUNDA 1898

 

Edward & Alic Myerson Orchardist, Lay Preacher ~ MAIDA VALE 1898

 

Thomas & Matilda Winsor Timberman, Dairy Farmer ~ KALAMUNDA 1899

 

William Patterson Builder ~ LESMURDIE 1900

 

Frank & Cecelia Laverack Orchardist ~ CANNING MILLS 1900

 

Sydney & Edith Smailes Orchardist, Timberman ~ CANNING MILLS 1900

 

Albert & Maud Annetts Orchardist ~ CARMEL 1900

 

William & Edith Guppy Timber Merchant ~ KALAMUNDA 1900

 

William & Mary Bryant Carpenter, Orchardist ~ KALAMUNDA 1900

 

Ah Ling Market Gardener ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL 1900

 

Hie Toy Market Gardener ~ CARMEL 1900

 

Frederick Williams Artist ~ GOOSEBERRY HILL 1901

Come and see us in person!